This recipe is from the cookbook "Taste of Home's, Fast Fixes with Mixes."
Well, there is certainly a need for a tablecloth or place mat for this photo - too much of the same color! I'll know better next time!! : )
I had a bit of trouble with this recipe, but in hindsight I know that it was my fault. The skillet (5 quart size) that I used was much too large for the burner on the cook top. This only means that it took longer for it to get done. It was fast and easy to put together - really tasted good. All that's needed to be served with this is a salad. It qualifies as a "keeper."
Fiesta Fry Pan Dinner
1 lb. ground turkey or beef (I used 93% lean beef)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 envelope taco seasoning (I used mild, but next time will use the regular)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
1-14.5 oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 cups frozen corn (I used canned corn, drained)
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 cup (4 ozs.) shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp)
In a skillet, cook turkey or beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Stir in taco seasoning, water, zucchini, tomatoes, and corn; bring to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until the cheese is melted. Yield 8-10 servings.
Note . . . since it took longer than the 5 minutes mentioned in the recipe for the rice to be tender, I had to add more water. As far as I can tell it didn't hurt a thing! There is no mention in the recipe for adding salt which I didn't do in the beginning. I did add some salt later.
No comments:
Post a Comment